+44 (0)20 7822 1200
Jack specialises in property damage, personal injury, professional negligence and sports law cases. He regularly appears in the High Court and County Court and acts for both claimants and defendants.
Jack is regularly instructed in high value claims relating to fires, floods, noxious spillages, subsidence, falling trees and defective product. He is particularly experienced in cases involving damage from trees (both clay shrinkage subsidence and catastrophic impact cases), and has presented the lead lecture on damage from trees at Damage Day 2018, 2017 and 2015.
Case of note:
- Claim arising from flood of suburb following failure of coastal flood defence system (Oldcorn v Southern Water Services Ltd  EWHC 460 (High Court, TCC), with Neil Moody QC);
- Defence of utility company following catastrophic fire to domestic premises allegedly arising from faulty work to electricity pylon (High Court, TCC, ongoing);
- Claim arising out of fatberg in sewer of multi-occupancy industrial estate: disputed causation; Rylands v Fletcher (County Court, ongoing);
- High value tree roots subsidence claim for £700,000 damages including cost of disputed underpinning: proper scope of Delaware Mansions defence (High Court, TCC, settled);
- Claim following house fire arising from alleged defective domestic heater: Consumer Protection Act 1987 issues (High Court, QBD, ongoing);
- Claim for large scale damage (in excess of £450,000) to electricity cabling allegedly caused by adjacent works to water main: claim brought under New Roads and Street Works Act 1991 (High Court, TCC, ongoing);
- Claim for tree roots subsidence damage to domestic property from nearby woodland, disputed claim for underpinning costs (High Court, QBD, ongoing);
- Defence of principal contractor following partial collapse of adjacent structure during excavation works: Party Walls Act 1996, alleged easements of support (High Court, TCC, ongoing);
- Claim for damage to domestic properties from fall of mature ash tree during storm (County Court, ongoing);
- Claim for asbestos contamination to domestic property following allegedly defective removal works (County Court, settled);
- Claim against professional property developer following flood of property from allegedly defective plumbing works (County Court, settled);
- Multiple linked product liability claims from homeowners following large scale oil leak from domestic storage tank through allegedly defective valve (TCC, settled);
- Claim against insurance company for major structural damage to farmhouse allegedly arising from subsidence, disputed policy coverage (High Court, Commercial Court, settled);
- Claim against home insurer for breach of insurance policy following flood of domestic property arising from alleged drainage leak (High Court, TCC, settled);
- Claim turning on scope of duty of bank to provide documentation to policyholder on renewal of household insurance policy (Thakerar v Lloyds TSB Insurance & Others  EWHC 1875 (Comm));
- Claim arising from tree roots subsidence to pitches on mobile home site: Mobile Homes Act 1983 issues (ongoing).
Jack has a broad personal injury practice covering catastrophic injury (including complex spinal injury); chronic pain cases; employer’s liability (including occupational disease); occupiers’ liability and defective premises; Highways Act cases; accidents abroad; RTAs (including fraudulent claims, declarations for policy avoidance, low velocity impact, credit hire issues and acting for the Motor Insurers’ Bureau); the Animals Act; and product liability claims.
Jack also has considerable experience in claims involving prisons and secure institutions, including claims arising out of physical and sexual assault, negligent supervision and false imprisonment.
Cases of note:
- Claim arising from road traffic accident involving vintage 1902 Oldsmobile car on London to Brighton veterans car rally (ongoing);
- Fatal accident claim arising from rollaway on HGV site (High Court, QBD, ongoing);
- Multi-party litigation arising out of the 130 car crash on the Isle of Sheppey Bridge in September 2013 (settled);
- High value claim for lifelong knee injuries arising from alleged defective highway (ongoing);
- Claim arising from serious fall down stairs at restaurant causing moderately severe brain injury (ongoing);
- Claim by prisoner in assault and battery following allegedly unauthorized and illegal use of control and restraint techniques during forced cell clearance (ongoing);
- High value claim for serious injury to the penis/urethra following road traffic accident (settled);
- High value claim for chronic pain in spine following fall on ice at work (settled);
- High value claim for catastrophic arm/elbow injury following road traffic accident (settled);
- High value claim for head injuries and associated cognitive impairment following road traffic accident (settled);
- Claim arising from accident in Spain when metal gate fell on visitor causing fractures to spinal vertebra: arguments of res ipsa loquitur.
Over the years Jack has been instructed in numerous actions for and against various professionals including doctors, builders, surveyors and lawyers.
Cases of note:
- Claim against solicitor and barrister for allegedly negligent failure to comply with court directions: Mitchell issues (ongoing);
- Claim against loss adjuster in respect of alleged negligent advice as to property underpinning scheme (High Court, TCC, settled);
- Defence of asbestos removal professionals following alleged contamination of domestic property during staged asbestos removal works (settled);
- Defence of principal contractor following partial collapse of adjacent building during demolition and excavation works (High Court, ongoing);
- Defence of teacher following serious injury to pupil during P.E. lesson (claim dismissed at trial);
- Claim against hospital following negligent late referral of stroke patient (ongoing);
- Claim against engine repair specialists for allegedly negligent repair of high performance sports car causing catastrophic engine failure (ongoing).
Cases of note:
- Claim on permanent disablement insurance policy by former Premier League and international professional footballer (with Howard Palmer QC), (High Court);
- Claim arising from collision involving a 1902 vintage Oldsmobile car in the London to Brighton veterans car rally (ongoing);
- Claim by leading professional motocross rider following major crash in MAXXIS MX2 championship race (ongoing);
- Claim arising from negligent tackle during schoolboy rugby union training session causing alleged lifelong injuries (High Court, settled);
- Claim for loss of earnings by semi-professional footballer following alleged career-ending injuries sustained in road traffic accident (settled);
- Claim against professional judo instructor in respect of alleged negligent instruction leading to student sustaining serious leg injury (settled);
- Claim against pitch owner for injury to goalkeeper arising out of allegedly dangerous surface of Astroturf pitch (ongoing);
- Claim against indoor ski centre for injury to skier arising from allegedly dangerous design and/or management of indoor ski centre;
- Claim by professional jockey who suffered fractured spine as a result of dangerous surface of gallop (settled).