Jacqueline Perry QC
+44 (0)20 7822 1200
"Proficient and approachable; she provides sound advice"Legal 500 2020
Jacqueline’s areas of work span contract and tort. She handles commercial matters both in the UK and the US as well as personal injury, clinical negligence, insurance and product liability.
Jacqueline has acted for both claimants and defendants in very high-profile, public interest cases. She has acted for local authorities and insurers as well as receiving a significant volume of instructions from trades’ unions and Government departments, the Police and the Fire Brigade. She has acted for claimants in cases arising out of major disasters, including the original and recent Thalidomide claims. She is also instructed in major multi-party matters and high profile group actions against multi-national corporations.
She is highly thought of by her professional clients, who instruct her in the sure knowledge of her thoroughness, fearlessness and sound and sensitive approach to all aspects of her work.
As a qualified and practising Californian lawyer, Jacqueline has consolidated her field of expertise in this jurisdiction and she has successfully litigated in front of civil juries in the California Superior Court in multi-million dollar claims.
In all areas of her work, Jacqueline has frequently successfully pioneered arguments and points of law or practice.
- During recent past, Jacqueline had been involved in the following matters concerning Private International Law:
- Claims against Shell Petroleum operating in Nigeria. This required considerations of local Nigerian statute as well as common law applications of nuisance and negligence and jurisdictional arguments were raised as to bringing the claims in England. These were resolved and an executed agreement signed.
- Mining claim in Sierra Leone
- Breach of contract and fees due to a solicitor working in Dubai, for a Californian firm – questions of which laws and statutes would be applied to an Arbitral hearing to be heard in England.
- Advising on the terms of an English insurance under both Californian law and English common law as applied to a $250 million turbine damaged in a hurricane in the Philippines and disputes regarding the extent of the claim.
- Advising the NHSLA as to contribution claims against a Californian surgeon in respect of medical treatment following patient’s treatment in Britain.
- Advising the Solicitor’s Regulation Authority in respect of claims brought against it in California and advising on the application of recognition of English jurisdiction in the Californian courts.