+44 (0)20 7822 1200
Sam’s practice covers chambers’ core areas, with a focus on professional negligence and commercial litigation. He is an experienced advocate who regularly appears in the County Court and High Court.
Sam has been instructed in a number of high profile disputes, including the Kenya Emergency Group Litigation and the Cyprus Colonial Litigation (instructed by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office).
- Drafting a Defence and application for summary judgment for a surveyor in High Court proceedings relating to an allegedly negligent valuation.
- Acting for an art gallery at a mediation concerning its purchase of pieces on behalf of an investor.
- Settling Particulars of Claim against an architect and project manager regarding its handling of a property development.
Sam also appears in Court at interim hearings, trials and to pursue enforcement proceedings. His recent experience as sole counsel includes:
- Advising a respected modern art gallery concerning various alleged breaches of contract in a joint venture agreement and the construction of promissory notes.
- Advising on whether a director had contracted in his personal capacity or as an officer of a company.
- Acting for the defendant in a breach of contract claim, where the defence was that the contract was unenforceable due to illegality.
He also regularly advises leasing companies on issues surrounding the damage of bailed goods.
Sam accepts instructions to advise and represent clients in contractual, regulatory/disciplinary and personal injury matters involving all major sports.
As a keen sportsman himself, Sam has a particular interest in football and golf.
His recent experience includes assisting in advising a Premier League football club on the effect of contingent fee clauses in a transfer agreement.
Sam also has experience of litigation involving sports injuries, particularly those arising out of alleged negligent tackles/actions during matches and the associated issues of vicarious liability and/or liability against unincorporated associations that arise.
Sam is a member of the British Association for Law in Sport.
Sam has extensive experience of product liability. He has particular expertise in claims involving allegedly defective medical products. His recent cases include a claim involving property damage caused by a fire said to be started by allegedly defective car heater.
Sam has experience of claims involving jurisdictional and choice of law disputes.
Before coming to the Bar, Sam assisted with numerous personal injury claims that raised conflict of laws issues.
His recent experience includes advising on whether a person injured following a fall in an airport terminal could bring a claim against an airline under the Montreal Convention.