+44 (0)20 7822 1200
"His technical expertise is terrific"Chambers UK 2021
"...excellent and really user-friendly"Chambers UK 2021
"...very strategic in the way he combats things, and his advice is straight to the point"Chambers UK 2021
Jack specialises in property damage, personal injury, professional negligence and sports law cases. He regularly appears in the High Court and County Court and acts for both claimants and defendants.
Jack is regularly instructed in high value claims relating to fires, floods, noxious spillages, subsidence, falling trees and defective products. He is particularly experienced in cases involving damage from trees (both clay shrinkage subsidence and catastrophic impact cases), and has presented the lead lecture on damage from trees at Damage Day 2019, 2018 and 2017.
Cases of note:
- Anchor Hanover Group v Arcadis Consulting (UK) Ltd  EWHC 543 (TCC) (with Sonia Nolten). Flooding from culvert. Scope of common law duty of care owed by the Environment Agency.
- Western Power Distribution (South Wales) Plc v South West Water Limited  EWHC 3747 (TCC). Cable damage claim under New Roads and Street Works Act Permission under CPR r.38.7 to bring second claim where first claim discontinued. Abuse of process.
- Oldcorn v Southern Water Services Ltd  EWHC 460 (TCC) (with Neil Moody QC). Flooding of suburb following failure of coastal flood defence system.
- Claim under Consumer Protection Act 1987 arising from serious injury following alleged use of plumbing product (with Neil Moody QC), (High Court, QBD, ongoing)
- Defence of utility company following catastrophic fire to domestic premises allegedly arising from faulty work to electricity pylon (High Court, TCC, settled);
- Defence of construction company following strike of data cable (High Court, TCC, settled)
- Claim under Consumer Protection Act 1987 following house fire arising from alleged defective domestic heater (High Court, QBD, settled)
- Claim against insurance company for major structural damage to farmhouse allegedly arising from subsidence, disputed policy coverage (High Court, Commercial Court, settled)
- Thakerar v Lloyds TSB Insurance & Others  EWHC 1875 (Comm). Scope of duty of bank to provide documentation to policyholder on renewal of household insurance policy
Jack has a broad personal injury practice covering catastrophic injury (including complex spinal injury); chronic pain cases; employer’s liability (including occupational disease); occupiers’ liability and defective premises; Highways Act cases; accidents abroad; RTAs (including fraudulent claims, declarations for policy avoidance, low velocity impact, credit hire issues and acting for the Motor Insurers’ Bureau); the Animals Act; and product liability claims.
Jack also has considerable experience in claims involving prisons and secure institutions, including claims arising out of physical and sexual assault, negligent supervision and false imprisonment.
Cases of note:
- Claim arising from road traffic accident involving vintage 1902 Oldsmobile car on London to Brighton veterans car rally (ongoing);
- Fatal accident claim arising from rollaway on HGV site (High Court, QBD, ongoing);
- Multi-party litigation arising out of the 130 car crash on the Isle of Sheppey Bridge in September 2013 (settled);
- High value claim for lifelong knee injuries arising from alleged defective highway (ongoing);
- Claim arising from serious fall down stairs at restaurant causing moderately severe brain injury (ongoing);
- Claim by prisoner in assault and battery following allegedly unauthorized and illegal use of control and restraint techniques during forced cell clearance (ongoing);
- High value claim for serious injury to the penis/urethra following road traffic accident (settled);
- High value claim for chronic pain in spine following fall on ice at work (settled);
- High value claim for catastrophic arm/elbow injury following road traffic accident (settled);
- High value claim for head injuries and associated cognitive impairment following road traffic accident (settled);
- Claim arising from accident in Spain when metal gate fell on visitor causing fractures to spinal vertebra: arguments of res ipsa loquitur.
Over the years Jack has been instructed in numerous actions for and against various professionals including doctors, builders, surveyors and lawyers.
Cases of note:
- Claim against solicitor and barrister for allegedly negligent failure to comply with court directions: Mitchell issues (ongoing);
- Claim against loss adjuster in respect of alleged negligent advice as to property underpinning scheme (High Court, TCC, settled);
- Defence of asbestos removal professionals following alleged contamination of domestic property during staged asbestos removal works (settled);
- Defence of principal contractor following partial collapse of adjacent building during demolition and excavation works (High Court, ongoing);
- Defence of teacher following serious injury to pupil during P.E. lesson (claim dismissed at trial);
- Claim against hospital following negligent late referral of stroke patient (ongoing);
- Claim against engine repair specialists for allegedly negligent repair of high performance sports car causing catastrophic engine failure (ongoing).
Cases of note:
- Claim on permanent disablement insurance policy by former Premier League and international professional footballer (with Howard Palmer QC), (High Court);
- Claim arising from collision involving a 1902 vintage Oldsmobile car in the London to Brighton veterans car rally (ongoing);
- Claim by leading professional motocross rider following major crash in MAXXIS MX2 championship race (ongoing);
- Claim arising from negligent tackle during schoolboy rugby union training session causing alleged lifelong injuries (High Court, settled);
- Claim for loss of earnings by semi-professional footballer following alleged career-ending injuries sustained in road traffic accident (settled);
- Claim against professional judo instructor in respect of alleged negligent instruction leading to student sustaining serious leg injury (settled);
- Claim against pitch owner for injury to goalkeeper arising out of allegedly dangerous surface of Astroturf pitch (ongoing);
- Claim against indoor ski centre for injury to skier arising from allegedly dangerous design and/or management of indoor ski centre;
- Claim by professional jockey who suffered fractured spine as a result of dangerous surface of gallop (settled).
Jack is regularly instructed in insurance disputes including those concerning policy interpretation, coverage and policy defences such as late notification and breach of conditions precedent.
Recent instructions include:
- Claim by policyholder arising from suspected subsidence and landslip to residential property; disputes on cause of damage, limitation and policy coverage (TCC, settled at mediation).
- Claim by policyholder following tree roots clay shrinkage subsidence to family home; disputes on policy interpretation and proper measure of indemnity (TCC, settled at mediation).
- Acting for insurer in claim arising from subsidence and water damage to farm building; disputes on causation, policy interpretation and breach of policy conditions (Commercial Court, settled).
- Acting for insurer in claim arising from escape of water in residential house; disputes on cause of damage, policy coverage and proper measure of indemnity (TCC, settled).”